Adoration of the Shepherds
1360 - 1390 circa
239 x 282
Artwork nr. 4 — Hall 01 — 3rd floor
The religious complex of Santa Giuliana, which was transformed into a military hospital after 1862, was richly endowed with works of art that were removed for safekeeping to what was then the Civic Painting Collection as a consequence of the state takeover and are now held in store or shown in the rooms of the National Gallery. These include a series of frescoes like the two devoted to the Nativity and the Adoration of the Shepherds, the work of an unknown fourteenth-century painter from Perugia, whose style is based on the reception of new ideas coming from both the graphic and the decorative work then proceeding in the Basilica in Assisi. Detached and reassembled on a wooden frame, they probably came from the area behind the choir in the church, which is also recorded as the "Visiting Room".
"Quem pastores laudavere"